About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Alphabet Poem


I wrote the poem below as an exercise.  Each line had to start with the next letter of the alphabet, so if you look down at the first letters of each line, you'll be able to read the entire alphabet in order.

"To a Former Lover in the Present Moment"
By Emily Glossner Johnson

Aside from your silence,
Beside my crystal memories of
Cool September days,
Do you ever remember?
"Emily, forget them!
Forget what they say!
Go with your heart."
How inelegant your words, and yet
I believed you
Just as you believed in me.

Know this:
Love will haunt you;
Memories run strong and deep, but
No, I no longer love you,
Or wish to return to your shelf,
Put there for safe keeping.

Quiet your mind.
Rest easy in your
Silence.
Today I just happen to feel free.

Underneath the
Violet-shadowed pines,
Would you ever go there again?
X-ray my soul,
Your ground
Zero girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment