About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Friday, June 1, 2012

Changing Goals

A few weeks ago, I posted about a writing challenge my critique partner Michael Canavan and I gave each other.  We were both supposed to write a coming of age story.  Well, we've both gotten away from that goal, but I think that's okay.  Michael has moved on to a new story idea that struck him that he really wants to write, and my coming of age story has morphed into the story of a man and a woman over the span of over two and a half decades.  My story is entitled "The Tiger Earring", and I'm having a lot of trouble writing it.  I'm hoping that blogging about it, and remembering my original goal with Michael, will help me get through a rough draft that I can then work on revising.  And I hope that Michael will have good fortune writing his new story idea.

I think that sometimes setting a certain goal and then having it morph into something different is not only okay, but beneficial.  The original goal gets you thinking and writing, and then letting it go where it wants to can turn it into something better than what you originally thought you'd write.  In my case, I just have to keep moving forward.  There will be a certain coming of age element in my story, but it's gone beyond that into something more... I don't even know exactly what!  This is why I'm having trouble writing it.  I think I have to get my brain wrapped around a theme and then take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment