About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

My Very Earliest Work

I wrote my first story, "Gregory the Giraffe", when I was four years old. It was written entirely in pictures, but I can still tell you what it was about. A giraffe named Gregory falls in love with another giraffe, but then breaks his leg. He's laid up in bed in a cast and can't see his beloved. But once he gets better, he gives her a huge diamond ring, and the two live happily ever after.

I wrote another notable book when I was seven. It was called "How to Be Healthy", and it was an instruction manual on how to keep from being maimed or killed. (I was a rather strange child.)

I wrote a lot of poetry as a kid, too. One poem that stands out in my memory was about finding happiness by flying to the sun, and then losing that happiness when realizing that one can't fly to the sun and is really all alone. Kind of existential for a little kid.

My first published short story came along in 2005. It's called "Lonesome Tonight", and I've posted it on this site. It's from a now defunct journal called Lynx Eye and isn't available anywhere on the web, so I've made it available in this blog. Just search on "Lonesome Tonight" and you'll find it. I'd be happy to have anyone who's interested read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment