About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Killing My Darlings

I've killed some of my darlings in my novel, and I think it will be better for it. When you go back into a finished draft, you usually have to kill some darlings to really make the writing effective.

I often think of "my darlings" as baby chicks. I just can't help it! Naturally, it's hard to kill them (my written darlings, I mean), just as it would be horrible to kill baby chicks, but it's something that just must be done during the editing process. Thank God I'm only killing baby chicks figuratively because obviously I could never do it for real. Still, I just imagine those extra phrases and passages and sections that I may love but that are ultimately unnecessary as baby chicks. My darlings.

I think this image is rather gruesome and that it might be a good idea to think of "my darlings" as something other than baby chicks, but I just can't get the image out of my mind. Oh, well. Maybe it will help if I write a horror story and have to kill some darlings in that.

2 comments:

  1. Kill you darlings, but imagine them something other than chicks, or lambs, or... How about handsome hunks?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I have to come up with some other image! Handsome hunks... ha, ha! That would be pretty funny.

      Delete