About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Prioritizing

I find prioritizing to be so very hard to do. I have so many things I'm working on, so many things I want to do... how do I organize them into some sort of order and coherency?

First of all, there's my literary novel, Purple Loosestrife, that I'm editing, proofing, tweaking, and doing a little reorganizing on. This is very important to me since I want to start sending it out. But I get sidetracked by stories I'm writing or working on editing. There's "James", "The Pattersons", "Carlsbad Caverns", and even "The Tiger Earring", which I may not dump but rather revise and finish.

Then there's my memoir about my life with bipolar disorder. This is slow-going, understandably I think, because I'm dealing with many different emotions and memories while I'm writing it. But I do want to write and finish it.

So how do I make it all work together? Aaaahhhh! I feel I'm being torn in different directions and need a plan. Perhaps I should make one: days and times when I work on certain projects. That might help and keep me from just bouncing around from piece to piece. I'll have to think more about this. I'll keep you, my readers, updated on my progress. And I will finish my works in progress! This I am determined to do.

2 comments:

  1. You know what I do? I make a project queue. I've got every project I want to pitch in the order they need to go out in (in order to stagger releases at each respective publisher). It's taken me a couple of months to stick to that little piece of paper's edict, but it's so freeing not trying to multi-task.

    Of course, right now I'm breaking my own rule by working on something that's TOTALLY not in the queue. I finished my last project early and figured "Why not?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I think the worst thing about priorities is that they change. Sure, I make a list every day, but then someone will ask for a blogpost pronto, or ask for some proof-reading before the day's end and the whole schedule goes out the window.

    Most of my writing gets done at night because of the social networking stuff during the day. Even then, I see that like me you're not just writing one book, and I have to smack myself upside the head not to get so involved in one project that I forget about the other (which leads to lost enthusiasm).

    You have my sympathy, but I can't offer much in the way of solution except to emphasize lists which can be updated.

    ReplyDelete