About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, November 12, 2012

A Beautiful Sadness

On an episode of South Park, Leopold "Butters" Stotch says the following:

"I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like it makes me feel alive, you know? It makes me feel human. The only way I can feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before, so I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm really feeling is like a beautiful sadness." ~Leopold "Butters" Stotch, South Park


This is one of the nicest things I've ever heard. Seriously. It seems weird coming from South Park and all, but it resonates with me. As a bipolar person, I sometimes feel sad for no particular reason, but the sadness makes me think about the happiness I feel otherwise, and I appreciate the happiness all the more. My sad times are being well controlled by medication and therapy, so I don't want anyone to think I go around feeling sad often. But sometimes I do feel sad, and this quote just sums up perfectly what I feel. When I feel well and happy, it's all the better and richer and more fulfilling than you can imagine. It comes from a beautiful sadness. Looking at life this way helps me a great deal to accept the condition of being bipolar.


Of course, I have to write about this in the memoir I'm working on about my experiences with bipolar disorder. The memoir is still very slow going--it's difficult to write--but it's cathartic and satisfying when I get bits of it written. I'm writing it mostly for myself, but I'm also hoping that it will be of a high enough quality to perchance get published so that it can educate, enlighten, and help remove the stigma associated with mental illness.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your project, Emily. You are lucky that you can write—it's supposed to be one of the best ways of sorting out emotions and problems, and coming to terms with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. It is a great way to sort through things and come to terms with the way things can be.

      Delete
  2. It's an important topic to write about, Emily. I'm cheering you on.
    Write for yourself, and don't be surprised if others benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nate. I do feel it's an important topic, and while I am writing first for myself, I do hope that one day others will benefit from my account of my experiences. Thanks for cheering me on!

      Delete