About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, November 19, 2012

Haversville, New York

Many of my stories as well as my literary novel have something in common: the fictional town of Haversville, New York. There is no Haversville in reality--it's purely a place from my imagination. It sits on the edge of Seneca Lake in New York state's gorgeous Finger Lakes region that spans across western to central New York. The beauty of the area is breathtaking, and my town is just as breathtaking as any that are real towns.

In my literary novel, Purple Loosestife, my main characters Spencer MacGowan and Vincent Ravenaugh live in Haversville. Across town is the Haver Corners Bed and Breakfast, where Lee Mullens of "Honeymoon" winds up meeting Sanders Hamilton. In "Arthur Cleary", who lives on the outskirts of town, the inn he mentions to Jake McAdams is one and the same as the inn run by Sanders Hamilton from "Honeymoon". Another literary story of mine takes place in Haversville: "Shadow People". I have another work in progress that will take place in Haversville as well: my literary story "James".

I have maps drawn of Haversville, lists of businesses that exist there, and have even placed St. Padre Pio College, a fictional small liberal arts college, there. Haversville has become very real to me, and it's become something of my "home base". I've written stories that take place in Rochester, New York (my home city); Westchester County, New York; and intentionally unnamed places, representative of anywhere. But I so often come back to Haversville. There are so many stories in a single town.

I think it's good to have a "home base". Of course, it's not for everyone. Many people like to write stories and novels that take place all over the world (and even beyond!). But if you plan to write stories in a small town or city, consider using the same town or city from story to story. You'll really get attached to the place and come to know it as if you've lived there. And in a way, you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment