About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Why My Master's Thesis Matters to Me

From 1991 to 1993, I attended the State University of New York College at Brockport for graduate school. I earned my master of arts degree in English in August of 1993. My master's thesis is entitled Weasels and Angels: Rhetorical and Communicative Strength and Weakness and Selected Women of the Canterbury Tales. Obviously it's about Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. It concentrates on six tales in particular and six women within those tales.

Of course, my thesis matters to me because it was hard work and I accomplished it. I put a lot of time, research, and effort into it and am proud of it to this day. However, it holds importance to me in another way as well. It was 82 pages long, and up to that point in time, it was the longest work I had ever written. It showed me that I was capable of writing long works, that I had a novel or two or more within me. And indeed, I was right.

I've finished a draft of a literary novel called Purple Loosestrife. I'm currently editing and tweaking it and preparing for it to hopefully go out into the world. Without having written my thesis, would I have been able to have written and finished this novel? Perhaps, but I know that writing my thesis taught me a lot about discipline and perseverance. So I'm grateful for having written my thesis, not just for the work itself, but for the work within me that it helped develop and bring out.

2 comments:

  1. It is true that everyone have their reason why their MA thesis matters to them. For some people, it is what develops the adult learner in them and finally produce a body of knowledge by way of MA and phd dissertation that they can rightfully claim as their own. Which bring them a wonderful and fulfilling emotion that made them proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete