About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Writing and Meditation

I've been meditating regularly for several years now. I don't know a great deal about it as far as Buddhist and other traditions and practices go. I just learned simple mindful meditation and that's what I do.

I find that it helps me greatly with my writing. Because it's mindful meditation and I can let thoughts flow through my mind, I find that these thoughts often have to do with what I'm writing, or projects I want to write. I've solved problems and come up with new ideas while meditating. It also really helps to clear and calm my mind after I've been writing a lot and feel a little too jazzed up.

I recommend meditation to writers. A few books that I think look really good are one by Jon Kabat-Zinn and another by Thich Nhat Hanh (just click on the names to get to the Amazon listing of these books). I haven't read these books yet, but they're on my Amazon wish list because they look so useful. I plan to read them and then report later about them. A book I have read that was useful is Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment by David Fontana, Ph.D.

So do consider adding meditation to your life. I think that once you get into it, you'll feel happy and fulfilled and find that it does help with your writing and creativity!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice, Emily. Lately there's a lot of stress in my life. I never considered meditation to help ease it or to be more creative, but I do now.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sloane, I'm so glad you found my post helpful. Mindful meditation has been so good for me that I'm a huge proponent of it. I think it can help manage stress and, even while you're not meditating, help keep you in the moment and worrying less. Check out the three books I've linked to... you might consider a purchase or a trip to the library. Mindful meditation isn't hard to get into, but a good book can be a good guide to get started. Best of luck to you and keep your chin up in stressful times.

      Delete
  2. Cheers, Emily! I've been trying to tame my mind for years. Yoga helps I find. I also do dream journeling, which is another way to connect with the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, yoga and dream journaling are both excellent things for one's mind (and body, in the case of yoga). I record dreams in my regular journal, and I've done yoga before--I just need to find a new place to go to so I can get into it again. I love that you say these are ways to connect to the universe. I completely agree!

      Delete