About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Happy 2013!

It's taken me a while to post a New Year's greeting, but nevertheless, here it is. Happy New Year! Do you make New Year's resolutions? A good friend of mine says she doesn't make resolutions; rather, she makes goals. I like this. Somehow it has a more positive connotation, and a goal sounds like something you're truly driven to do, more so than a resolution that you've resolved to do.

So what are my goals for 2013? Well, by March, I hope to have my novel, Purple Loosestrife, ready to send out to agents. I'm working on it solely right now--editing, tweaking, adding, subtracting. I'm also retyping the whole thing in a font and format that works better. I'll keep you posted on my progress with this. The editing process is going along well and smoothly, so I do believe that by March, I'll be sending out queries.

I also plan to keep writing and publishing short stories in 2013, and perhaps publishing some novellas. I've got a few stories as well as novella ideas in the works, but I've set them aside while I get my novel polished up. As soon as that task is done, however, I'll get to short story and novella writing.

That said, I would like to start planning and perhaps drafting my second novel this year. It'll be another literary novel, and I've got an idea for it, but right now, it's quite amorphous. I have to come up with a solid synopsis and an outline and then perhaps begin writing.

I wrote the first draft of Purple Loosestrife in a month. I did a NaNoWriMo in July (rather than the traditional November). I did this with the help of The No Plot? No Problem! Novel-Writing Kit by Chris Baty. I highly recommend this. If you click on the link, it'll take you to the Amazon page where this kit is sold. I think I may do this again for my next novel. With Purple Loosestrife, it really forced me to get it all down and have something to work with. Writing is rewriting, so it got me to the rewriting stage pretty quickly.

Another goal I have for 2013 is to continue working on my memoir. I'll be happy if I can get three more chapters of it done. I never expected to write it quickly, which is why my goal is rather small. It's hard to write about my bipolar disorder. I'm doing very well with my illness presently and have been for the past several years. But even though this is the case, it's still hard to go back and dig into a past in which things weren't always so great. So if I can get several chapters down, I'll be happy. If I do more than that, or if I should happen to finish it altogether, I'll be really happy, but I'm not going to set the bar too high.

As far as happenings in 2013, I have my story "Ribs" coming out this month in the journal Breath & Shadow! I'll post here when it's available.


6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post, and wish you good luck on your writing during the coming year.

    Stan
    (SS Hampton, Sr., Musa author)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on your hunt for an agent.

    Karen Daniels
    fellow Musa author

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you'll be busy! Good luck with the agent search. Tell us, what genre is Purple Loostrife?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vonnie! Purple Loosestrife is a literary novel. It's about two men who fall in love and one of the men's struggle with schizoaffective disorder. It also gets into their relationships with their families, and there's a bit of magical realism in it. It's been a fun yet challenging novel to write--I've loved every minute of it!

      Delete