About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Brain Zaps

Ever have them? If you have, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. They're a symptom of withdrawal from certain antidepressants--in my case, Effexor. I've recently switched to Wellbutrin for my antidepressant, and I've been gradually going off my previous antidepressant, Effexor (under my doctor's care). Well, I'm at the point of being off of it altogether, and it's not pleasant. This is my first day without it.

I'm writing this post for anyone who would like to read it, but especially for those with mental illness who have suffered through withdrawal from medication--or any negative side effects of psychotropic drugs, for that matter. It's hard, but it's worth it in the end to find the right meds. I was diagnosed with bipolar I disorder nearly eighteen years ago, and I'm still switching meds sometimes to find just the right mix and balance. So for those of you out there and in the tribe, stick with it, take your meds, listen to your doctor. And be persistent about feeling well and finding the right meds.

I have been able to write today despite my unpleasant withdrawal feelings. In fact, writing has helped to take my mind off of how I feel. So if you're going through something like this, find something that you love to do and indulge in it. Unless you love riding roller coasters. No, I wouldn't recommend that. That would not be good.

2 comments:

  1. now I am intrigued by the concept of the brain zap. Can you describe them? Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arley, I will try to describe them in a post. I'll do the best I can! Thanks for your interest.

      Delete