About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Friday, February 8, 2013

My Current Quotation

I presently have as my quotation at the top of my page the following:

"I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like it makes me feel alive, you know? It makes me feel human. The only way I can feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before, so I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm really feeling is like a beautiful sadness." 
 ~Leopold "Butters" Stotch, South Park


Yes, this is from South Park, and it moves me every time I watch the episode in which Butters says it. I should make it clear that I'm not really sad at this moment, nor do I foresee being sad in the near future, but this quote about "a beautiful sadness" sums up the way bipolar disorder can often be, or the way life in general can be. We have to take the good with the bad, and the bad can show us how good the good really is.

For writers, it goes along with the submission process. You're going to get rejections, and those feel bad, but that one acceptance among a few rejections can make you so happy that you see that it's all worth it. So a rejection can really be seen as a beautiful sadness, because an acceptance may have already come for another work, or may be just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment