About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Importance of Exercise

Exercise is very important to me for my mental well-being. Of course, it's also of great importance for my physical well-being, but my mental state benefits greatly from it and I'd be less mentally healthy without it.

My exercise of choice is running. The picture to the right is of me crossing the finish line of a YMCA-sponsored 5K that I did in the Rochester, New York area. I love to run, but recently I've had to walk due to some problems with my thyroid. I have hypothyroidism and I'm in the midst of getting my medication to the right dosage so that I have the energy to run again. It really sucks, not having the energy to run, but I know I'll get back there.

Running, for me, is not only mentally and physically healthy, but a chance to think about my writing. When I run, I get into a kind of meditative state. In this state, ideas often come to me, or I work though problematic ideas. It's pretty awesome. I can do this when I walk, too, or engage in other exercise (swimming, for example, which I really enjoy). I think it's running that gets me into the most meditative state, however.

I'm not suggesting that every writer who reads this take up running. It's not for everybody. Some people just plain hate it, while others may have physical issues which prevent them from being able to run. However, I do suggest taking up some form of exercise if you don't exercise already. It's amazing how much it can both clear your head and fill it with ideas at the same time. And the endorphin rush you get at the end of a good workout is amazing. It makes me want to write and create and be productive in any capacity.

4 comments:

  1. Does it count if you listen to an audio book while you're doing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhea, I think it certainly does count! You're exercising, even if you're listening to a book while you do it. I listen to music, though at times when running, I just listen to the outdoors. I think I'd get distracted by an audio book, but if it works for you, that's great!

      Delete
  2. Yes! Running is my exercise of choice too. I hope you get the hypothyroidism worked out. My running tanked when I had thyroid issues. Now that it's back to normal, it's made a world of difference. Good luck, and enjoy your workouts!

    ReplyDelete