About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"The Tiger Earring"

I finished a draft of my story "The Tiger Earring" today. I call it a draft and not a final draft because I find it hard to ever consider a piece of my writing to be a final draft. I guess that once a story is published, then that's the final draft, but until then, I always feel that I could do more. What, I don't necessarily know, so I figure the story must be in pretty good shape, but I don't think that we writers ever have a sense of closure.

I have so far had my mom and my friend and fellow writer Kerry Miskovic read the story. Both of them loved it. Their kind and insightful words about it have made me feel very good.

I have put this story in the queue of submissions of the CNY Creative Writers Cafe so that it can be critiqued by the group. Once I get feedback from them and perhaps tweak the story a bit, I will send it out into the world for possible publication.

This story was interesting to write--an experiment really--because I told it in reverse. It starts in September of 2067 and ends in January of 1985. But despite incorporating the future into it, it's definitely not a science fiction story. I just needed to look ahead to the future of my character, and so to 2067 I went. It's a wistful, rather melancholy story, and my two "so far" readers found it very moving. It even made my mom want to cry. I love making my readers want to cry! I feel somehow that I've done my job well.


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your draft. I have something of a sense of closure when I finish my first draft, sort of like, "I did it!" A true sense of closure comes once I finish editing and submit it to one of my publishers. If accepted, it's not 100% mine anymore, because any number of excellent editors will help make it better (no, unfortunately, I am not a perfect writer). I wish you much success with your writing.

    Stan
    (SS Hampton, Sr., Musa author)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stan! You've made some interesting points about the editing and publishing stages.

      Delete