About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Great Review and Two Rejections

I got a great review of "Arthur Cleary" today. Please feel free to read it by clicking here. It makes me happy! It offsets the two short story rejections I got today. Ah, well. That's all part of the process.

It would be great to have more people read "Arthur Cleary". You can get it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Musa Publishing's website, OmniLit, and Rainbow eBooks. You can get my other short story "Honeymoon" at all these places as well. And on Amazon, you can get my short story "Shadow People".  "Shadow People" originally appeared in the literary journal The Linnet's Wings.

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes, rejections. I know that feeling well. But then again, as we all know, that's part of a writer's life. When I receive a rejection I just file it away and keep going. If I didn't have stories I want to tell, I might let the rejections get to me. But, pour another cup of coffee, light another cigarette, and I keep going. I wish you much success in your writing career.

    Stan
    (SS Hampton, Sr., Musa author)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stan! Yes, rejections are part of a writer's life and I let them just roll right off me. I do file them away (well, they actually go into binders along with the story submitted) and submit some more and write some more. If anything, they make me want to work more so that I can achieve my goals!

      Delete
  2. CONGRATS on the wonderful review, Emily! Glad to hear your tough and don't get disillusioned by a rejection or two. Your writing is too good.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, well done on the positive review. Rejection is just an occupational hazard. In the end, we need to focus on the pluses, pick up any useful learning from the minuses where we can can, and move on.

    Here's to the next positive!

    ReplyDelete