About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Friday, March 22, 2013

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again..."

When I sleep, I'm a very active dreamer (I'm an active dreamer when I'm awake as well, but that's for another post!). I have random dreams... some good, some wonderful, some neutral, some nightmarish. But I also have recurring dreams and places that I visit frequently in dreams that don't exist in the waking world.

I call the place I visit most often simply "my house". It's a large Victorian house with an attic, a basement, a huge porch, and many, many rooms. I'm always discovering new rooms. Sometimes, dreams about my house can be disturbing. For example, I'm terrified of the attic and have yet to go into it in a dream, yet sometimes I'll catch a glimpse of it through an open doorway and become very afraid. There's something up there that's horrifying--I don't know what it is--but I clearly don't yet want to find out. Maybe someday, in some dream, I will.

I often dream about my writing. I've come up with characters, character traits, plots, and dialogue when dreaming. I can even "make" myself dream of things I'm writing about and writing problems I want to solve if I think about the things before I fall asleep.

I dream just about every night--or I should say I remember my dreams from just about every night (everyone dreams... it's just a question of whether or not you remember them upon waking). I love my dream world. I'm sometimes plagued by nightmares, but it's worth it if it means I get to have the good and productive dreams I have, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment