About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Some Old "New" Stories

Going through my files today, I found and printed out two stories I'd like to continue work on: "Under the Bookcase" and "The Pattersons".

"Under the Bookcase" isn't that old of a story. I wrote it last year and have been letting it sit on the back burner to simmer for a while. I think this is always a good idea, a good thing to do. When you let a story sit for a while, you go back to it with fresh eyes and may see things that need to be changed or edited or tweaked in some fashion.

I wrote "The Pattersons" quite a while ago (a few years ago), and now I want to revisit it and see if there are ways in which I might tweak it and prepare it for submission to journals. This is a Twilight Zone-esque story. I may want to look into journals that publish speculative fiction and science fiction and submit it to some of them.

I'm glad I've let these stories sit and wait for a while, and I highly recommend it to any writer. When you've let a story sit for a while, your first time reading through it again is almost like reading someone else's work. This is good. It allows you to see things you may not have caught when you were closer to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment