About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Friday, March 29, 2013

What I'm Currently Reading...

I realize that as a writer, it might be interesting to share what I'm reading. I tend to have many (too many) books going at once. I try to stick with one nonfiction book and one fiction book at a time, but I always seem to start and read more books than that.

Such is the case now. I'm reading the nonfiction books Visit Sunny Chernobyl and Other Adventures in the World's Most Polluted Places by Andrew Blackwell, Break the Bipolar Cycle: A Day-by-Day Guide to Living with Bipolar Disorder by Elizabeth Brondolo, Ph.D. and Xavier Amador, Ph.D., Spent: Break the Buying Obsession and Discover Your True Worth by Sally Palaian, Ph. D., and A Morning Cup of Yoga by Jane Goad Trechsel. In fiction, I'm reading The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian.

I'm not the fastest reader, so this list might take me a little while to get through. I'm not a very slow reader, either, but I certainly don't speed read or skim. I read like the English major and English graduate student that I was--like I'm later going to have to write an essay about what I'm reading. But I have great recall of what I've read, and I feel I get incredibly immersed in the books I read. I'd rather read carefully and remember and truly appreciate what I've read than zip through and hardly remember anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment