About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Vacation from Writing

I recently spent ten days in Hawaii and, during that time, I took a vacation from writing. I missed it very much! That said, I think it's good every now and then to take a writing vacation because, let's face it, we writers, even when on a writing vacation, are still writing. We're just doing it in our minds. I've had new ideas come to me and solutions to problems with pieces of writing already written. It was good.

A writing vacation, in my opinion, is also rejuvenating and helps to bring new energy to projects both new and in progress. It's nothing I'd do often, but every now and then, it's nice.

I've missed my writers group, the CNY Creative Writers Cafe, very much, and I feel a renewed appreciation for the wonderful members of this group. I meet with them tonight and even have a story up for critique. I'm really looking forward to the meeting.


No comments:

Post a Comment