About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April Snow

It's snowing today in Syracuse, New York, and we've got about four to five inches on the ground in my suburb! Ah, central New York and lake effect snow...

It's a good day to write, though I have some cleaning and laundry to do. I usually do chores first during the day so that sitting down to write is a reward for getting tasks I have to do out of the way. Of course, one can write while the laundry is going on. I just hate having to get up and fold clothes when I'm in the zone! One can write in one's head while doing chores such as cleaning. I think about my writing and mull over ideas and/or problems that I want to solve. It's a great way to pass the time while cleaning, and it helps to get the actual writing going. So really having to do chores isn't that bad for a writer. You can still get "writing" done in your mind.

As far as snow in April goes, I don't find it as inspiring as snow in December or January. I love winter and snow, but the operative word in this sentence is winter. Spring should be what inspires at this time of the year!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Emily, lake effect or not snow in April is terrible! Hope it melts soon and your inspiration flows.

    ReplyDelete