About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New Work

I've written a story called "Granddaughter" which is in the working draft stage. I like it, but I feel it needs more to it plus a stronger ending. I also recently wrote part of a chapter of my memoir about life with bipolar disorder. That was hard to do, and it's in the very rough draft stage. The memoir is going along so slowly. Revisiting certain times in my life is not easy, but I find that writing about them is therapeutic and cathartic. However, I don't want this memoir to be just my own therapy. I'd like to think that it might reach a broader audience that it can enlighten, educate, and entertain. I have no idea when it will be done, though.

I find that when writing about difficult subjects, it helps to take frequent short breaks and do something fun while on those breaks. Maybe just watch a funny video on YouTube, or read a bit of a funny and/or lighthearted book. It's important for me to do these things so that I can stay balanced and not get so much into the moment I'm writing about that I trigger bad stuff (depression, hypomania, mania). I know what my limits are fortunately, and I work within them--most of the time. I can't say it goes along perfectly, but I try.

Meanwhile, I've got several stories out there submitted to journals, and I continue to submit queries about my novel. I just submit and forget about it until I hear something. This was some good advice given to me by my graduate school creative writing professor. He said to submit, forget it, and move on. Then when you get a rejection, you get a rejection, and you continue to move on. But when you get an acceptance, you're thrilled and you can celebrate the achievement!

No comments:

Post a Comment