About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Swimming Pool

My swimming pool is surrounded by several big trees, so in the fall, many leaves fall onto the pool cover. We have a leaf net, and it works fairly well, but still there are many leaves on the cover when we remove it in the summer, and even though we pull the cover off as carefully yet as quickly as possible, where do many of those leaves end up? In the pool.

So we're in the process right now of vacuuming, vacuuming, vacuuming, all to chlorinate yet again once we remove this debris.

It all reminds me a bit of the story I'm working on at present, "The Infant of Prague". I feel like there's debris I have to remove, and then I have to "chlorinate" to make it just right. I seem to be having as hard a time with this story as I am with our pool. Well, really I'm not having that hard of a time with the pool--I know it will come together well. And I know this as well about my story. It's just the process that can be tedious and make me feel impatient.

On a different note, I just started reading Daphne du Maurier's novel My Cousin Rachel. I love the lush prose and the trajectory the story is already taking. I loved Rebecca, and I think I'm going to love this novel, too. It's so nice when the day is done to get comfortable in bed and read this novel. Or one of the other books I'm reading. I have three in process right now.

2 comments:

  1. Pool maintenance can prove to be a tedious job, especially with pools as large as yours. Good thing though, there are now pool covers to keep fallen leaves and other debris away from your pool. You just have to select the best option for your pool and for your budget. Well, I can say that you're doing a great job in maintaining yours, judging by the looks of it.
    Floy @ Orlando Pools by Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Floy! We work hard to keep it in good shape.

      Delete