About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Five Men Named David?

I'm thinking that the story I just started that takes place in the 1980s should be called "Five Men Named David" and be about, you got it, five men named David. It might be flash fiction--I'm not sure yet. It's very short right now because I just started it, but so far I've only introduced two of the Davids, so it could get longer. It'll be an odd one, but that should be no surprise to anyone who's read my writing (the stranger stuff, that is).

I'm still working on "The Affair". I've already let it sit and stew once, and now that I've made changes, I'm not sure if I should let it sit and stew again, or submit it to my writers group for critique. I'm leaning towards getting it critiqued and getting some feedback. I highly recommend letting a work sit and stew for at least a couple of days, but it gets to the point at which you want others to see it so you can get a feel for how it's going.

I have submitted for critique to my writers group a memoir piece called "Manic Summer". As with all my memoir pieces, this one was difficult to write and I'm eager to know what my writers group thinks of it. The problem for me with writing about my bipolar disorder is that I want to convey things clearly that weren't very clear at the time. It's hard to do. It's also difficult to revisit certain periods in my life, but I do find it therapeutic and cathartic, and if this memoir goes somewhere someday, I will be happy if it helps even one person with a mental illness feel better about what he or she is going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment