About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, October 14, 2013

The Horror, the Horror...

I want to write a post in appreciation of horror. I love horror. I have ever since I was a little kid. Of course, as a kid, I didn't watch horror movies, but I read kids' books dealing with all things supernatural. And now, as an adult, I read a lot of horror and watch all sorts of horror movies.

My favorite horror novels are Stephen King's The Stand, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby, and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I love reading short horror stories as well. I love Richard Matheson, and I just started reading Ramsey Campbell, whom I'm really enjoying. And of course I adore Edgar Allan Poe. I also enjoy reading nonfiction about the supernatural.

As far as movies go, it's hard to pick favorites because I'll watch just about anything horror, and even if a movie is bad, I'll often still like it. But among my favorites are the following (in alphabetical order): 

An American Werewolf in London (the ultimate in horror comedy)
The Bad Seed
Burnt Offerings (a made-for-TV movie that's excellent)
Carnival of Souls (a wonderful 1960s cult classic, surreal and very spooky)
Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)
The Day After (not technically horror, but on my list because it scares the shit out of me so much that it hurts to watch it)
The Descent (the spelunking scenes alone would be terrifying enough, but then there are the horrifying mutant humans)
The Evil Dead  
The Exorcist
Halloween  
I Am Legend (most scary: not what you see, but what you hear at nightfall, and the idea of having to hide in silence so that they won't find you)
Insidious
Night of the Living Dead  
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Omen
The Others (not only very scary, but a gorgeous movie)
Poltergeist (still scares me every time, and I can practically recite it)
Psycho
The Ring (the best of the Japanese horror remakes in my opinion)
Rosemary's Baby
Shaun of the Dead (more comedy than horror, but still on my list)
The Shining (Stanley Kubrick's version, another scary but also gorgeous movie)
The Silence of the Lambs
The Sixth Sense
The Stand (actually a made-for-TV miniseries that's excellent)

I'm sure I've probably forgotten some, but this is a pretty good list, I think. 

In addition to reading and watching horror, I also decorate with horror. There's a picture here of my horror shelf and a picture above of a plaque that I recently got. These are not Halloween decorations but things I keep around all year.

Do I write horror? Not in particular. I write some creepy stories, but they aren't exactly horror. Could I write horror? I think so. Perhaps I'll give it a go with one of my next stories. And if I do, I'll be sure to post in this blog about how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment