About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Friday, February 28, 2014

What I'm Currently Reading...

In addition to a number of short story anthologies, including a fabulous one containing all of Raymond Carver's work, I'm reading, in nonfiction, Eric Schlosser's Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safey and Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. In fiction, I'm reading Joyce Carol Oates's First Love.

Regarding Command and Control, I'm fascinated by nuclear weapons, the Manhattan Project, and the Cold War. I love the science and the politics behind these things. I've read many books about these topics, including four books (maybe five?) about J. Robert Oppenheimer. I think that most people have that one period in history that fascinates them... mine is post World War II America--the Cold War, the fear surrounding the bomb, the "nifty fifties" (which weren't really always that nifty), and the change in the world's psyche because of the existence of nuclear weapons.

I've been reading King's On Writing but set it down to read some other books. What's good is that it has two parts, so I set it down right before part two. Now I'm picking it back up again.

Oates's First Love is really a novella, so I'll read it fast and then have to figure out what fiction to read next. Perhaps Shirley Jackson's The Bird's Nest. I have a few Shirley Jackson novels I haven't read yet. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Might I suggest this book of essays concerning the atomic age by Lewis Thomas: "Late Night Thoughts on Listening to Mahler's Ninth Symphony." I think you'd like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Chuck! I've written it down and would very much like to read it.

      Delete