About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, February 17, 2014

When a Writer Feels Like a Moron

Sometimes when I'm revising a piece of work, I find problems with logic or timing that make me feel like a moron.

I'm revising "Under the Bookcase" (again) and I found a spot in which two characters discuss something that one of the characters hasn't yet revealed. Another thing I discovered: one of the three main characters is a college professor, and I realized that I had the story set in July when he might not be teaching, or at least not teaching during a traditional semester. So I'm having him teach a summer course, which I mention quickly and subtly just so that the sharp reader won't think that I think the traditional semester goes into July. I also found a spot in which I have a character sit down at a table twice. He sits down, then a few sentences later, he sits down again--but meanwhile, he hasn't gotten up. So what is he doing, sitting in a chair and then on the floor? Suffice it to say, I fixed this so that he sits down only once.

But all of this is part of writing (writing is rewriting). You've got to carefully read and read and read to make sure you haven't goofed stuff up. Revising isn't just a matter of checking mechanics but of checking for problems in logic and timing and such.

I've attached a picture of a goat to this blog entry, not because I think goats are morons, but because I felt kind of like the look on that goat's face when I was reading my story and finding problems. For the record, I think that goats are anything but morons. I love goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment