About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

In Between

I haven't blogged in a while and I've missed it... and you, dear readers.

I think there are a couple of reasons for my hiatus. First would be springtime. With a somewhat large yard that contains many gardens (put in beautifully by the former occupants of our house), there's a lot of outdoor work to do. I love gardening, though it does get overwhelming at times. But I try to keep myself together and break it down into manageable bits. I'm not always entirely successful, but I figure as long as the front yard looks really good (since there's a stockade fence around the backyard), then I'm doing fairly well.

A second reason for my hiatus would be, I'd have to say, the work I'm doing right now. I finished up "You Kill Me", my story about washed-up rock star Jimmy Gemini, and brought it to my writers group where I got excellent feedback. I'll work on it some more, and then begin submitting it.

I'm also working on my bipolar memoir, which I've decided at this point to call Violets Are Blue: A Memoir of My Bipolar Life, and I've finished one chapter called "Infidelity". I'm now struggling to write a chapter called "Childhood Is the Kingdom", which is, rather obviously, about my childhood and what I believe to be early signs and symptoms of my bipolar disorder. But it's going very slowly and it feels as though there's so much I could write and get into. I have to find some sort of theme or focus, otherwise I'll just be floundering. In fact, floundering is exactly what I'm doing right now.

So I'd like to write another story and leave the memoir alone for just a little while. And yet I feel torn about this because I've been on a good roll with the memoir. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I should just work on both--alternate between them. This is what I did while working on "Infidelity" and "You Kill Me", but "Infidelity" came to me much easier than "Childhood Is the Kingdom" is.

I guess I just have to keep thinking and having "Childhood Is the Kingdom" in the back of my mind while I find a focus. And meanwhile, why not start another story and keep submitting stories? Sounds like a plan to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment