About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Teasers?

My husband recently told me that when I announce on here that I've had a story come out, or forthcoming, that I should tell a little bit about what it contains--kind of like a movie preview. So to that end, allow me to give "teasers" to a story that just came out, as well as one that's forthcoming.

"The Pattersons" is in the anthology Postscripts to Darkness, Volume 5. It is available on the anthology's website and on Amazon. "The Pattersons" is about an all-American family--Phyllis and Tom and their children Judy, Billy, and Suzy--living in a desert town at time when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn and Davy Crockett was still on television. The story takes place on a very strange day for the Pattersons. Who can explain the events that are occurring around them? Read the story and find out!

"Under the Bookcase" is a story I have forthcoming in The Outrider Review. It's about a mysterious young man named Cole Ingram who becomes involved in the lives of a lonely couple, Debbie and Richard Goodwin. What will happen as Cole becomes more and more entwined with the Goodwins? And what exactly is under the bookcase?

Just imagine that both of these teasers started with that ubiquitous male movie announcer voice saying, "In a world where..."

No comments:

Post a Comment