About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What I'm Currently Reading...

I'm actually reading only one book right now (the others are on hold) because I have the book out from the library. When I get a book from the library, I have to dedicate all my reading time to it because I'm not a very fast reader. The book I'm reading is Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, an author I very much enjoy (The Andromeda Strain is one of my favorite books).

Jurassic Park the book is very different from the movie in a lot of good ways. It's far more scientific, which I love. I especially love when the character Ian Malcolm (played by Jeff Goldblum in the movie) explains chaos theory, which is something I'd like to read more about on my own. I find this theory fascinating.

I do love Jurassic Park the movie, but for entirely different reasons than those that make me love the book. It's a fun, scary, suspenseful movie--one that goes well with popcorn. There's science in it, but not to any great extent. There are mostly dinosaurs and people trying to keep away from them.

I highly recommend the book if you haven't read it already. I realize I'm behind in reading this book now, but I just never got to it when it first came out. I'm glad I've gotten to it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment