About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas and New Year's Eve and New Year's Day

I had a wonderful Christmas and plan to have a mellow New Year's Eve with hors d'ouevres, sparkling grape juice (I don't drink alcohol), and New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest. I'll watch the 2015 ball drop and toast the year to come. New Year's Day is a bit of a downer. It's the day I take down my Christmas tree and all my Christmas decorations. But in a way, I don't mind getting my house back to normal. It always looks so clean and uncluttered once I put the Christmas stuff away.

I haven't been doing much writing lately because I've been making merry. But I have started a new story called "Such a Lovely Girl". It's a ghost story about a girl from the past named Eleanor Cutler and a woman in the present named Diane Constantine. I hope it will come out to be spooky and atmospheric and a little dream-like. I've also been working on my memoir, but I've come to a point at which I'm finding it more difficult than ever to write. I'm at a point of being ready to write about the years of my first marriage. Those years involved a lot of emotional and psychological pain, and I don't know if I'll be able to write about them, or at least to write about them adequately. I want to distance myself from that time, but with memoir, you want to get in close. Well, I can only do so much as give it a go and see what happens. My psychiatrist thinks it could be cathartic and therapeutic. I guess we'll see. I'll certainly stop writing about that time if it triggers anything negative.

For Christmas, the most "writerly" gift I got is a necklace my sister Jenny made. It has a tiny book that she bound herself and attached to a lovely chain. I've put a picture of it here. The little book can be a place in which I write ideas or quotes or just words I come across that I like.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year! I look forward to 2015 and what it might bring. So far, I have two pieces coming out in 2015. I have to submit more so that I can try to raise that number. I plan to work hard in 2015 and think positively. I also plan to work on being in the moment (mindfulness). May you all have a mindful 2015 as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment