About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Sunday, March 1, 2015

March!

I actually like the month of March. Here in central New York, it's still very much winter, but spring is coming, however slowly the process may seem. March is important to me for a number of reasons, the biggest being that it's the month of my son's birthday, my only child. He turns twenty this March. Twenty years ago this month, I was handed a tiny human swaddled in a blanket and wearing a small cap. I gave him the nickname Pickle because that's what his shape reminded me of. Now that little baby is a young man, and I'm very proud of him.

March 8th is the "spring ahead" part of daylight savings time, which means we get an extra hour of light in the evening.

March 17th is St. Patrick's Day, and while I'm not very Irish (just a little), my son is a little bit more. My husband isn't Irish at all. Nevertheless, I like to celebrate the day by cooking something somewhat Celtic (if not corned beef, then shepherd's pie) and eating some sort of green dessert--most likely cookies with green frosting.

March 20th is the spring equinox. And while there will likely still be snow on the ground, the warmer spring weather is on its way.

I've written two stories in recent days that will likely be critiqued by my writers group this March, "Such a Lovely Girl" and "The Problem with Squirrels". I like both of these stories a lot. I had fun writing them. But now I'm left with no fiction in the works. I'm working on my memoir, but I like to have some fiction going, too. I'll have to either come up with something new or revisit something I've written and perhaps get it ready to submit to literary journals.

No comments:

Post a Comment