About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

A Skeleton Dancing on World Bipolar Day

Today, March 30th, is World Bipolar Day. I've posted a picture of a skeleton dancing (a public domain image) because this is how I feel about being open about my bipolar disorder. The skeleton is me, deep down inside, everything revealed, and I'm dancing because I feel good about being open and compliant with my treatment and so well supported by my family, friends, and psychiatrist. I've had bipolar disorder for twenty-one years, and for about the past nine years, I've been doing really well. It's been a difficult journey, and it continues to be daily work, but I feel good about it all.

So why am I so open? It's my goal to advocate for others with mental illness; to help end the stigma and stereotypes of mental illness; and to educate and enlighten people about this chronic, incurable but treatable condition. I see my psychiatrist monthly; I take five medications, and I have an excellent support system. I'm a mom, wife, daughter, sister, aunt, niece, and friend. I'm a writer. I am very much like anyone else, except that I have bipolar disorder. It's okay to talk about it, and I'm always willing to answer any questions anyone has. We, the community of people with mental illness, should all be able to feel this way, but unfortunately, many of us feel we can't talk about it or even let it be known. I'd like to see this change, and I try to do my part in bringing about that change.

If you want to know more about bipolar disorder, check out the information on the National Institutes of Mental Health website, the Depression and Bipolar Disorder Support Alliance website, and the National Alliance on Mental Illness website. Another important resource for all people to know is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (the phone number is 1-800-273-8255).

No comments:

Post a Comment