About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Happy Spring Equinox!

One of the things I love about my native New York state is the change of seasons. Today is the first day of spring and I wish you all a Happy Equinox!

I've included here a picture of my front yard the way it will look in a few more weeks. We don't have leaves coming out yet, but we have buds, and I have tulips coming up and crocuses blooming. As is typical with New York, it's very cold today. Only 28 degrees as I write this.

I've been thinking of my friend Lori who passed away this January. I remember that it was about a year ago that she wrote to me how much she was looking forward to spring and all the renewal. She got to see spring a year ago, and I'm glad for that. I miss her very much, but there's one thing her death has made me even more adamant about: to appreciate the loveliness of the seasons and to always look for beauty.

In upstate New York, there is so much beauty. Every season has its own merits--yes, even winter, long as it may be--and we have so many beautiful places here, my favorite being the Finger Lakes. I also love Lake Ontario and Letchworth State Park and little Mendon Ponds Park and my own yard with all its plants, trees, bushes, and flowers. We're blessed that the people who lived here before us did some fantastic landscaping. I just have to keep it up. It can be work, but fortunately, I love to garden. Soon, I'll have a lot of it to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment