About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, April 18, 2016

In Memory of Anne Purcell

Anne Purcell was in my second grade class and lived, for a time, in my neighborhood. We were good friends. I had so much fun when I would play with her. After second grade, Anne switched to Catholic school, and shortly thereafter, she moved out of the neighborhood. We didn't keep in touch, which would have been tough to do as a kid in the 1970s. Even if we'd had e-mail and cell phones, we would have been too young to use these things.

I found out the other day that Anne died of breast cancer. She was forty-nine years old, married, and the mother of two daughters. My heart is heavy and even though I haven't seen Anne is decades, I miss her.

This is the second young friend I've lost in the past few months. I lost Lori, my close friend and former college roommate, in January. And now Anne Purcell is gone.

Rest in peace, Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment