About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Scariest "Horror" Movie for Generation X?

Tomorrow is Halloween, but I don't watch horror movies more than usual at this time of year. I watch horror movies year round. I love horror movies--the scarier the better.

However, the scariest movie I've ever seen because of when I saw it and what was going on in the world is 1983's The Day After. This isn't a movie about ghosts, zombies, vampires, an exorcism, or a haunted house, but rather nuclear war and its terrifying aftermath. It's not a "horror" movie exactly, but I've always thought of it as one because of how much it scared me.

In 1983 when it aired on television, I was in high school. It was at a very bad time during the Cold War (was there ever a good time?). Being young, I was truly afraid that nuclear bombs from the Soviet Union could drop at any moment. This movie showed what would happen if a nuclear war occurred. After watching it, I was left with a hopeless, despairing, frightened feeling that I recall vividly to this day.

I am a member of Generation X. I think this movie was especially scary for my generation because many of us came of age during the Cold War. I was in high school and college during the Reagan years. There were a lot of fears of nuclear war during this time. The possibility of it, especially for young and impressionable people, felt very real. It shows that reality, or events that could so easily become real, can be more frightening than any horror movie. In fact, for me, horror movies are very much about escapism and getting a thrill out of something that can't become real... or at least we hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment