About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Monday, October 10, 2016

World Mental Health Day

Today is World Mental Health Day. I'd like to send well wishes and positive energy to anyone whose life is touched by mental illness.

It was twenty-one years ago this month that I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. When my son was born twenty-one years ago in March, my doctor thought I had postpartum depression. But the depression wouldn't go away, so he sent me to a psychiatrist. And then I got manic, and the psychiatrist diagnosed me. I have had some terrible, harrowing times with this illness, including four hospitalizations and two times in a partial hospitalization program. But since about 2006, I have been doing well and feeling balanced much of the time. There are several reasons for this. A new psychiatrist whom I continue to see. A good mix of medication. Sobriety. A wonderful support system, including the man I married in 2008. And my beloved son who is a constant source of joy in my life. Even my two cats, Gretchen and William, have brought me peace and steadiness.

To update things to the present day, this World Mental Health Day: I have continued to do a bit of running along with my walking. It's going to take time to get back to where I once was with running, but I'm still at it. I'm working on my second novel and continuing to send out the first. And I continue to write and publish short works.

Again, I wish anyone who lives with mental illness (by way of yourself or a loved one) good energy and peace. Hang in there. It's a bumpy ride, but life is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment