About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Nomination

The Mondegreen has nominated my short story "Santa Lucia" for the 2016 Pushcart Prize. I am so honored by this, and while this may sound like something you hear a lot around Academy Award nomination time, it feels great just to be nominated. It really does.

I enjoyed writing this story very much. My Italian Catholic grandmother used to tell me about St. Lucy. If I remember correctly, she had a statue of St. Lucy holding her eyeballs on a plate, or at least a holy card which portrayed this, so I feel the story has a connection to Grandma Mary. I don't know if she would have appreciated this story--it's a little gruesome--but she was always proud of me and her many other grandchildren. When I was a kid, she would ask me to play "Santa Lucia" on my cello, but because I didn't know the song, I'd play another favorite of hers, "You Are My Sunshine". Nevertheless, I can still hear her singing "Santa Lucia" in an attempt to teach it to me. So here's to you, Grandma Mary. And thank you so much to The Mondegreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment