About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a writer from central New York who has bipolar disorder. Among other topics, I write about mental illness and writing. I have short stories published in Lynx Eye, Lost Coast Review, The Outrider Review, Sliver of Stone Magazine, The Mondegreen, The Linnet's Wings, Cobalt Review, Breath & Shadow, The Round Up, Postscripts to Darkness, Masque & Spectacle, and several other journals. I have essays about mental illness in The Ram Boutique and Amygdala Literary Magazine, and an essay in Parts Unbound: Narratives of Mental Illness & Health, a book that was published by Lime Hawk Literary Arts Collective. In December of 2016, The Mondegreen nominated my story "Santa Lucia" for a Pushcart Prize. I've written a novel entitled Purple Loosestrife and a novel entitled Hoping It Might Be So, both of which I am submitting to agents and publishers. I'm working on a novel called Dark and Bright as well as a book called Violets Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I have a B.A. in English from SUNY Buffalo and an M.A. in English from SUNY College at Brockport. I hope you enjoy your visit to my blog!

Saturday, April 8, 2017

April Work

An update on what's going on at this time: I'm working on chapter ten of Dark and Bright, my third novel. This is the first draft I'm writing. When it's done, I'll go through it all again. I have to submit my first two novels to agents and publishers some more. I think I may concentrate on submitting my second novel, Hoping It Might Be So. I have a hankering to go over my first novel yet again to see if there's anything I want to tweak.

No new short stories at this time, or any essays for Violet Are Blue: Essays About My Bipolar Life. I really want to write an essay--I just don't know what I want it to be about. I'm stuck with this project. There's so much to tell, but I'm not sure how to tell it.

As far as reading goes, I just finished Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. I had never read it before. Also finished: Ted Chiang's collection Stories of Your Life and Others. That was excellent. I'm still reading Kay Redfield Jamison's Touched with Fire, and I plan to start reading Dave Egger's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I'll also start one of the short story collections I have in my to-be-read queue. Maybe A.M. Homes's The Safety of Objects.

I've included with this post a picture of my feet in our pool. Of course, we're nowhere near opening the pool yet, but I like to think about summer not being that far off. It will come. It always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment